Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Buying Books for the Holidays



Have you noticed all the blogs sporting this "I'm Buying Books for the Holidays" button? There's been a book bloggers movement afoot to promote giving books this holiday season and I, for one, have done my part.

My husband is easy to buy for...history and finance. This year's choices were Panic: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity by Michael Lewis and Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.

My oldest daughter, like her Mom, loves Jane Austen! She will receive The Annotated Pride and Prejudice and, on the recommendation of Ex Libris, Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe. Since she is interested in majoring in writing/rhetoric, I couldn't pass up Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. After I'd purchased these, she decided to ask for Clinton Kelly's Freakin' Fabulous. So...one more book bought for the holidays.

One of the twins, 15, is a big fan of the Twilight series. She has hardcover editions of all the books except the first, so Santa will complete her set. Both twins, and out-of-state nieces and nephew, will receive Barnes & Noble gift cards.

Finally, everybody will receive a page-a-day calendar: Dilbert for my husband, sports inspiration/motivation quote of the day for daughter #1, SAT prep question a day for twin A (she actually requested this!), and French phrase of the day for twin B. I also purchased a couple of gift mugs, a calligraphy set, a lapdesk, and various stocking stuffers.

The economy, or at least Barnes & Noble, should be safe for another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails