Sunday, May 17, 2009

TSS - Easing into Summer

Good morning! This week I've noticed a new phenomenon here at the lake...we are "easing into summer". In years past, when we had three students at the public high school, summer began very abruptly. It happened in late June, the date determined by the completion of the final Regent's Exam.

Life is very different this year. Daughter #1 started college, Twin A transferred to a local private prep school, and Twin B became the family representative at the public high school. Summer, as it turns out, will be a gradual process in our household.

Daughter #1 had her last exam on Tuesday, loaded up the Jeep, and headed home to begin her summer. That meant sleeping until almost noon, mountains of dirty laundry, and piles of 'stuff' all over the house. The rest of us, still on the school year schedule, got up between 5:45 and 6:15, tripped over daughter #1's stuff, and headed to the kitchen to pour our coffee. Twin A and Twin B were quite envious, but Daughter #1's vacation is over. Her summer internship starts tomorrow morning.

Twin A has two weeks of classes left, followed by three days of finals. Her summer begins June 3. Twin B won't finish her last exam until June 23 or 24. I don't think it's really registered that she'll be going to school for weeks after her sister is done...and I sure don't want to be around when it does!

As far as reading goes, I took a slight detour and experimented with graphic novels last week. After browsing though a how-to book (did you know there was such a thing for graphic novels?), I read and reviewed American Born Chinese by Gene Yuen Lang. I also finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and will post a review this week. A review of The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield should also be up in a day or so. Tomorrow I'll have a story by Willa Cather for Short Story Monday.

I'm currently reading The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt. It is my bookclub's May selection. I've listened to a few lectures from The Teaching Company's Classic Novels course this week and have decided that I really need to read Wuthering Heights. I don't have an audiobook in progress at the moment. Can you suggest one that you've enjoyed?

What are you reading today?

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you thought of The Help. I've heard some great things about it. I may add it to my list for the Southern Reading Challenge.

    Your house sounds so busy! Summer vacation starts at different times for me and my kids. Vacation starts at the end of this month and only last four days before summer semester start while the kids' vacation doesn't start until June 18th.

    I have no idea what I'm going to start reading today but I am so excited about the possibilities. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vasilly,
    I just loved The Help! It would be perfect for the Southern Reading Challenge.

    It's going to take some adjustment to get used to all the different summer schedules around here...sounds like you have the same situation! Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED the Help -- I look forward to reading your review.

    Isn't it interesting how each phase of life is so different? I thought my life was hectic when I had toddlers - but then I realized that was just practice for when became teenagers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all begin summer vacation at the same time in our house and I am busily planning what to do with the six weeks. My twins are only nine, so they still need my attention. It will be very hectic in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Summer days, school girls and college girls, great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly,
    I remember that you loved The Help. I really did, too.

    It's funny, but the older my kids get, the more I enjoy them! I wouldn't want to go back to those toddler days again - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrap girl,
    Nine is such a nice age! I refer to that time as the 'golden days' of childhood...they're so much more independent than just a few years earlier, yet adolescence hasn't set in yet. You'll have a very busy summer, I'm sure. Thanks for visiting today!

    Zetor,
    It is great fun! I especially love having everybody at home again for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the days of the college student coming home for the summer--you described it beautifully! I have one graduating from college in June and then 2 more still at home who don't start summer until the end of June either.
    I just wanted to say that I sure do enjoy my teen boys--they are such great guys and fun to be around, although the 13 year old is a bit more moody lately--I know it is a stage and he will grow out of it. By the time they are 17/18 and off to college I always feel sad--I really like having them around!
    Have a wonderful week--
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    I was just saying to my husband that I feel bad for all the new college graduates trying to find jobs in this economy! I hope things are better for your son on the west coast.

    I'm very happy to have my daughter home again. Like you, I enjoy my teenagers so much...we should be counting our blessings! Hope you're having a good week so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails