Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesday Intro: The Girl on the Train


RACHEL

FRIDAY, JULY 5, 2013

MORNING
There is a pile of clothing on the side of the train tracks. Light-blue cloth - a shirt, perhaps - jumbled up with something dirty white. It's probably rubbish, part of a load dumped into the scrubby little wood up the bank. It could have been left behind by the engineers who work this part of the track, they're here often enough. Or it could be something else. My mother used to tell me that I had an overactive imagination; Tom said that, too. I can't help it, I catch sight of these discarded scraps, a dirty T-shirt or a lonesome shoe, and all I can think of is the other shoe and the feet that fitted into them.
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train  seems to be the IT book everyone is reading right now. After spending much less time on the hold list than anticipated, I got the ebook from my library over the weekend and read the first chapter before bed last night. I am hooked - this should be a fast, exciting read!

The goodreads summary sounds promising, too:
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost. 
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good? 
A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparisons to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep, this is an electrifying debut embraced by readers across markets and categories.
What do you think of the opening? Would you continue reading?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

52 comments:

  1. Great opening! I haven't read this one yet. I'm waiting for some of the hype to die down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - I usually prefer to wait until the hype has subsided, too. (I still haven't read Gone Girl!) Not sure why this one called to me now.

      Delete
  2. I'll be so interesting to hear your thoughts on this one - I'll save mine until after you finish :) I write a spoiler post awhile back...for when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - Can't wait to take a peek at that spoiler post... hopefully by the weekend.

      Delete
  3. I was not as impressed with this one as most. I will be curious to see your review ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila - It's good to know that not everyone loved it... helps keep expectations in check.

      Delete
  4. I love the opening! I haven't gotten on the hold list for this one yet though I'm dying to read it. It sounds so good! Hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to see your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I must have put my name on the hold list before the book was even in circulation. Can't believe how long the lists are now!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with it, JoAnn. I've read it and won't say more at this point. Will be interested in hearing what you think. My emotions ran the gamut during my reading of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - I read the first third this morning... riveting so far.

      Delete
  6. I did keep reading and it certainly held my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - It's a quick and interesting read so far.

      Delete
  7. I had a friend just read this. It sounds great and if I had space on the reading list, I'd pick it up. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna H - I can certainly relate to that statement! So many books I want to read right now...

      Delete
  8. I read this book and it really challenged me in a way I did not expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - That is such an intriguing statement! I'll have to ask you about it once I finish.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this book, but I do find the first few paragraphs interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasilly - I sat down and read a third of it this morning... very good so far!

      Delete
  10. I have the audio of this one and am eager to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - The audio is supposed to be very good! Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  11. I loved this one! Hope you do, too, and it didn't take long for me to feel an emotional connection to some of the characters. Enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I got involved with both Rachel and Megan right away!

      Delete
  12. I bought this one cause I couldn't wait for it at the library. I'm not sorry I shelled out the bucks for it. A great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - Sometimes you just have to do that, lol! Glad you thought this book was worth the bucks :-)

      Delete
  13. It was a pretty fast read although there was one slow spot in the middle. I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - I got through a third of it so far today... it moves right along!

      Delete
  14. I couldn't put this one down. It felt like a guilty pleasure and I loved every second of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer - That's exactly how I feel so far!

      Delete
  15. Yes, please. I like the voice (though I have heard the narrator has some issue that make her less than appealing), it's a strong start and I'm totally intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - To say the narrator has issues is putting it mildly! This is a good solid read so far.

      Delete
  16. I've read this one and loved it! I do hope you enjoy it too. Here is my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/tuesday-first-chapter-first-paragraph-march-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo - I'm totally involved in this book now!

      Delete
  17. I like the opening, but I wasn't so crazy about this book. I'll look forward your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica - I really like it so far (30%), but we'll see how it ends up.

      Delete
  18. I like the opening paragraph in spite of the fact that I decided not to read this one. Most of the time I'm disappointed in the books that seems to be pushed at me. I'll wait and see what you think. I do hope it's good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I usually am, too, but so far this is not disappointing me.

      Delete
  19. I've seen this book around the blogosphere alot. It really looks good and eventually I will get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - It does seem to be everywhere lately!

      Delete
  20. Based on that intro I would definitey keep reading! I've been so curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I really enjoyed this book. I hope you like it, as you keep reading...and DO keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - I really like it so far! Read the first third yesterday and can't wait to read more later today. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  22. I read this and yes, great opening!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is in my TBR stack. That's a great opening! I really need to get to this one sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle - Everyone seems to be talking about The Girl on the Train now.... it's unusual for me to be so current ;-)

      Delete
  24. I really want to read this but, like you said, with it being the book of the moment am worried I will be disappointed. The paragraph you quoted though sounds good. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma - I rarely seem to read the book of the moment while everyone else is reading it, too. SO far I am not disappointed... fingers crossed!

      Delete
  25. Great opening. I think I'm on the hold list for this at the library. I better check, because if I'm not I should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - I just passed the 50% mark and you definitely need to be on the hold list!

      Delete
  26. I've read it! Thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I should finish this today... very entertaining!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails